Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Intern Self-Assessment: Objective 4

4. I will create activities for 9th and 10th grade students to utilize print and non-print resources in the Media Center and will communicate these activities to teachers to use with their classes. (FEAP 1, 2, 8, 10, 11)

The objective was satisfactorily met . . .

I set out to create a notebook of activities for 9th and 10 grade students; however, as I began working on it, I realized that there was no way I could create activities that would actually be used for all subject areas. Therefore, I began gathering resources to fill a weakness for many teachers -- which is research methods, such as works cited pages. I also asked teachers to give me tried-and-true activities that they use for their classes. This way, other teachers can get ideas that they can use for their classes -- especially new teachers. Also, I started creating a list of resources available on United Streaming for teachers to use. Many teachers want new videos or DVDs to be ordered; however, relevant and new information is available on United Streaming for free for Georgia teachers. Because teachers are not familiar with what is available, I created a list for teachers to look at to encourage them to use this resource.

I believe this type of activity would be more beneficial if I had been able to go to course team meetings and meet directly with teachers. In that way, I would understand the teachers' instructional needs better and the teachers would gain an understanding of how the media center resources could enhance their curriculum. This could pave the way to true collaborative teaching.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One of our must compelling problems is getting ninth and tenth grade classes into the library. Ninth grade English teachers do an excellent job of creating assignments that require technology and print materials. None of the other academic areas use the media center very often. Courtney and I decided that the creation of this notebook would
inspire more teachers of other academic areas to use our recourses.

I have looked over her notebook and am very impressed. I think Courtney went above and beyond what I expected of her. The book is creative, well-organized, and most importantly, user friendly. The book is set up so that we can add projects as teachers create new assignments for their students.

Although we were mostly concerned with ninth and tenth graders, we can also use the notebook for juniors and seniors with a few adjustments. Courtney certainly achieved her objective.