Monday, November 05, 2007

Intern Self Assessment: Objective 1

1. I will use my knowledge about weeding to analyze the biography section of the collection and make recommendations for the improvement of the collection to increase the diversity of the subject matter and to increase student interest in the material. (FEAP 5, 8)

The objective was satisfactorily met . . .

I analyzed the biography section of the collection. Another English teacher had told me that the collection was not great, and therefore, I believed that it was a section of the collection that needed a lot of work. Once I actually began analyzing the section, I realized that there were many great books that had been recently added to the collection. However, there were a great many books which were old, out-of-date, unattractive, and irrelevant to the curriculum. I weeded out many of these books, which allows students (and teachers) to see the great books that are actually there on the shelves. One of the needs I saw was for biographies on Asians and Asian-Americans. I searched for books in this area, as well as for all biographies. I found 18 books that I believe would be a great addition to the biography section of the collection. Many are more memoir-type biographies which may attract some of the avid fiction readers.

Although I haven't completed the assignment yet, I believe the knowledge I will gain by doing the Collection Map in my Collection Development class will help me be more effective in this type of analysis.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Courtney has done an excellent job weeding our biography section. We have weeded other parts of the media center but have ignored the biography section for various reasons. Courtney is a hard worker and a self-starter. I am certainly enjoying working with her and look forward to her completing all of her objectives.